Saponaria, Sp. Pl. 1: 408. 1753 sec. Bittrich (1993c)
- Type: Saponaria officinalis
- =Spanizium, Spic. Fl. Rumel. 1: 180. 1843 syn. sec. Bittrich (1993c)
- Type: Spanizium ocymoides
- =Pleioneura in Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 75: 357. 1951 syn. sec. Bittrich (1993c)
- Type: Pleioneura griffithiana
About 40 species, most diverse in the Mediterranean and southwestern Asia. The most comprehensive monograph dates from 1910 (Simmler 1910), with Shults (1989) providing an updated account for Russian taxa. Up to now, sampling has been minimal and offers no information on how related genera (Cyathophylla, Pleioneura, Bolbosaponaria, etc.) may best be treated. Monotypic; central Asia to Himalayas. Possibly related to either Saponaria or Psammosilene (Bittrich 1993b) but not yet sampled for DNA.