(For species-level checklists please refer to the link on the respective homepage)
Original publication: The data on this site were originally based on the publication “A taxonomic backbone for the global synthesis of species diversity in the angiosperm order Caryophyllales”, Willdenowia 45: 281 – 384, 2015, by Patricia Hernández-Ledesma (PH), Walter G. Berendsohn (WGB), Thomas Borsch (TB), Sabine von Mering (SvM), Hossein Akhani (H), Salvador Arias (SA), Idelfonso Castañeda-Noa (ICN), Urs Eggli (UE), Roger Eriksson (RE), Hilda Flores-Olvera (HFO), Susy Fuentes-Bazán (SFB), Gudrun Kadereit (GK), Cornelia Klak (CK), Nadja Korotkova (NK), Reto Nyffeler (RN), Gilberto Ocampo (GO), Helga Ochoterena (HO), Bengt Oxelman (BO), Richard K. Rabeler (RR), Adriana Sanchez (AS), Boris O. Schlumpberger (BOS), and Pertti Uotila (PU). For updates made available onlin since that publication please refer to the Updates section below.
How to cite us: Please use this article as a reference when citing data from this website, with the addition of “accessed on Caryophyllales.org [date]”.
Role of authors: The draft of the generic checklist and the initial data entry was the work of PH, who also provided the treatments of Achatocarpaceae, Agdestidaceae, Ancistrocladaceae, Asteropeiaceae, Barbeuiaceae, Didiereaceae, Dioncophyllaceae, Droseraceae, Drosophyllacae, Frankeniaceae, Halophytaceae, Limeaceae, Lophiocarpaceae, Microteaceae, Nepenthaceae, Nyctaginaceae, Physenaceae, Rhabdodendraceae, Sarcobataceae, Simmondsiaceae and Stegnospermataceae and collaborated in some notes of Chenopodiaceae, Phytolaccaceae and Polygonaceae. The following groups were revised by specific authors: Aizoaceae: CK, with contributions by GK (Sesuvioideae); Amaranthaceae: TB, with contributions by GK (Polycnemoideae); Anacampserotaceae, Molluginaceae and Portulacaceae: GO; Montiaceae and Talinaceae: GO, with contributions by UE; Cactaceae: SA, UE, NK, RN, BOS; Caryophyllaceae: RR, BO (Sileneae), with contributions by SvM; Basellaceae: RE; Chenopodiaceae: HA, HFO, SFB, GK, PU; Gisekiaceae: GK; Plumbaginaceae, Kewaceae, Macarthuriaceae and contributions to other families (e.g. Deeringia, Hypertelis, Microtea): SvM; Polygonaceae: ICN, AS; Tamaricaceae: HA. WGB extensively rechecked the nomenclatural references and standardization of database entries. SvM edited entries and updated the database. Introduction and summary were prepared as a draft by PH, TB and WGB. Comments from co-authors were incorporated, and the final text edited by WGB, SvM, NK and TB.
Acknowledgements: The authors acknowledge the technical support by Katja Luther, Andreas Müller and Cherian Mathew at the BGBM during work with the EDIT Platform software and the production of the generic list directly from the database. Andreas Kohlbecker assisted with the implementation of the website. There was a productive exchange with James Solomon (Missouri Botanical Garden) while checking our nomenclatural data against the Tropicos database. Werner Greuter, Nicholas Turland, and Wolf-Henning Kusber are acknowledged for advice on complicated cases of nomenclature. Demet Töre provided literature on Plumbaginaceae. David Hunt, John McNeill, Sergei Mosyakin, Kai Müller, Louis Ronse de Craene, Nigel Taylor and one anonymous reviewer are thanked for their valuable comments on an earlier version of the now published manuscript.
Updates: The following changes were agreed with the respective authors mentioned above and incorporated into the database since the article went into print:
- Polymita N.E.Br. included in SchlechteranthusSchwantes (Klak & Bruyns 2016).
- Galenia L. and Plinthus Fenzl embedded within Aizoon L. (Klak & al. 2017).
- Aizoanthemopsis Klak added as a new genus (Klak & al. 2017).
- Anisostigma Schinz resurrected for Tetragonia schenckii Schinz (Klak & al. 2017).
- Drosanthemopsis Rauschert is reinstated (Klak & al. 2018).
- Kelita A.R.Bean – added as new genus (Bean 2010).
- Wadithamnus T.Hammer & R.W.Davis – added as new genus (Hammer & al. 2017).
- Lecosia Pedersen and Omegandra G.J.Leach & C.C.Towns. – added to the database since these two genera were accidentally omitted in Hernández-Ledesma & al. (2015).
- Rhodoclada Baker in J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 21: 327. 1884 - added as a synonym for Asteropeia (Schatz & al. 1999)
Augustea Iamonico – new genus, segregated from Polycarpon (Iamonico 2015).
- Balkana Madhani & Zarre – new monotypic genus, segregated from Gypsophila (Madhani & al. 2018).
- Graecobolanthus Madhani & Rabeler – included back into Bolanthus (from which it had been segregated) (Zografidis & al. 2020)
- Hartmaniella M.L.Zhang & Rabeler – new genus, segregated from Pseudostellaria (Zhang & al. 2017).
- Heterochroa Bunge – genus resurrected, 6 spp. (Madhani & al. 2018).
- Himgiria Pusalkar & D.K.Singh – added as new genus (Pusalkar & Singh 2015).
- Petroana Madhani & Zarre – new genus, 2 spp., segregated from Gypsophila (Madhani & al. 2018).
- Plettkea Mattf. – reduced to a synonym of Pycnophyllopsis (Timaná 2017).
- Schizotechium Rchb. – genus is resurrected (Pusalkar & Srivastava 2016).
- Shivparvatia Pusalkar & D.K.Singh – added as new genus (Pusalkar & Singh 2015, Rabeler 2017).
- Yazdana A.Pirani & Noroozi – added as new genus (Noroozi, Pirani, A. & al. 2020, Rabeler pers. comm. 2020).
Oreosalsola Akhani – new genus, 9 spp., segregated from Salsola (Akhani & al. 2016).
- Mangleticornia P.W.Ball, G.Kadereit & Cornejo – new, monotypic genus from Ecuador, sister to Salicornia (Ball & al. 2017).
Segregation of the monotypic family Corbichoniaceae Thulin from Lophiocarpaceae (Thulin & al. 2016).
- Corbichonia Scop. - transferred from Lophiocarpaceae to Corbichoniaceae (Thulin & al. 2016).
Family treatment updated according to (Thulin & al. 2016), two new genera added: Paramollugo Thulin and Trigastrotheca F.Muell.
- Persepolium O.V.Yurtseva & E.V.Mavrodiev – new genus, 5 spp. endemic to SW and Central Iran, segregated from Polygonum (Yurtseva & al. 2017).