Coryphantha, Cactées: 32. 1868, nom. cons., sec. Hunt (2006)
- ≡Mammillaria subg. Coryphanta in Proc. Amer. Acad. Arts 3: 264. 1856 syn. sec. Hunt (2006)
- Type: Coryphantha sulcata
- =Lepidocoryphantha in Blätt. Kakteenf. 1938(6): 22. 1938 syn. sec. Hunt (2006)
- =Escobrittonia in Sukkulenty 3: 17. 2000 syn. sec. Hunt (2006)
- Type: Escobrittonia gracilis
Found as highly polyphyletic by Bárcenas & al. (2011), and as nested in Mammillaria. One core Coryphantha clade was resoved but only weakly supported as monophyletic (0.65 PP from Bayesian Inference). Vázquez-Sánchez & al. (2013) likewise find Coryphantha as polyphyletic, but not nested in Mammillaria, however much fewer species were sampled therein. One maximally supported group was found that also contains Neolloydia matehualensis Backeb., while other Coryphantha species were found close to Echinomastus and Escobaria. As in the whole mammilloid clade, support for the relevant nodes is still weak and generic limits of Coryphantha need further evaluation. See also notes under Mammillaria and Neollydia. Recent traditional monograph by Dicht & Lüthy (2003).